1 Jan 2012

Brioche Butter Pudding

Asperger's Son2 has a problem with breakfast. He's not a big eater so when he settles on something he likes for the most important meal of the day, we go with it. For a while, it's been brioche rolls filled with chocolate paste.
They were on BOGOF in Tesco for a bit, so I made the most of it. But he went off them and we still had a bag and a half left, nearing expiry date. Son1 can't have them, he's allergic to hazelnuts. So I had a brainwave - bread and butter pudding with a difference!
Using a base Bread and Butter Pudding recipe from Prue Leith's Step-by-Step Cookery, now almost two decades old, I changed it to suit my ingredients. It's not for those on a diet, but as a special treat, your family or guests will be in dessert heaven.

Ingredients:
Brioche rolls
Butter
Dried fruit (I used sweet cranberries & sultanas but use whatever you fancy)
225ml of milk
225 ml of single cream
1 vanilla pod (Mine was quite big so I cut it in half as I needed some for something else)
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten

To convert weights & measures to US go here

First I melted the butter in a bowl, then split open the brioche rolls and dipped the insides in the butter. I actually melted it by accident as I was softening it, but it was much quicker to use melted.
Then I layered them into a loaf tin (you can use whatever you have that's big enough).
Then add dried fruit between the layers.

Layer the rolls dipped in melted butter into an overproof dish
 and add dried fruit between the layers
With the last layer, I laid the rolls face up and compacted them all down.
End with a face-down later and sqiush down

 Then take the three eggs and beat them
 
Beat three eggs

Then add the milk and cream to a pan and put the vanilla pod and sugar in. Bring to boiling point. Next, add the beaten eggs and stir until thickened to a custard consistency.  
Keep stirring so it doesn't stick

When it's thick enough, pour over the top of the brioche mix. I used a sieve to make sure there were no lumps.

Pour over the brioche through a sieve

Then place in  large tin like a roasting tin, cover with foil and pour hot water into the LARGER tin until it comes half way up the outside of the brioche tin
Don't get confused and pour the water in the wrong tin..

It should look like this...

Bake in the oven at 180c for around 50 mins until it's set.
When it's ready it should look like this
Then you can turn it out onto a plate or serve from the cooking tin. It's delicious  with cream or ice cream.
OMG it's just fab..
I think my husband loves me just a little bit more now...